If you don’t have the time, money or desire to take an extended vacation to a tourist-filled destination this summer, that doesn’t mean you can’t create a great vacation here at home. Lafayette is the perfect place to create the perfect staycation for you and your family.
Here are some great ideas for enjoying a staycation in Lafayette.
Explore the Museums
Lafayette is home to a number of great museums that are both educational and entertaining for adults and children. Some of the most popular museums here are:
- Lafayette Science Museum in downtown Lafayette where visitors can explore a digital Planetarium, a virtual reality lab, a Crawl Space filled entomological wonders and much more.
- Paul and Lulu Hilliard University Art Museum on UL’s campus which displays various art exhibits in different media for visitors to peruse.
- Children’s Museum of Acadiana in downtown Lafayette is the perfect place for children to learn more about the world around them.
- Any of the cultural museums where visitors can learn more about Creole and Cajun cultures that are the backbone of Acadiana.
- Zoosiana is a “living museum” with a variety of animals and activities for families.
Eat at Local Restaurants
Eating local cuisine is one of the best parts of vacation. It keeping with that tradition, make it your mission during your staycation to eat at local restaurants that are “new to you.” With so many local dining options in Lafayette, it’s very likely that you have not tried them all.
Not sure where to start with finding local gems? The Eat Lafayette campaign is a great reference as it promotes only local restaurants. Here is the restaurant guide for 2017. The 2018 campaign details will be released in June, so be sure to look for it.
Or, to get a sampling of a variety of local restaurants, go on a Cajun Foods Tour to experience cuisine at five local restaurants.
Attend Fairs and Festivals
There are no shortage of fairs and festivals in and around Lafayette this time of year. Each celebrates a unique aspect of local culture, offering visitors food, fun and entertainment suitable for the whole family. Some of the upcoming festivals and events are:
- Cajun Heartland State Fair, May 24-June 3 at the Cajundome.
- Erath Fourth of July Celebration, June 30-July 4 in Erath.
- Gulf Brew, July 21, Blackham Coliseum.
For those who want to explore festivals beyond Acadiana, here is a list of festivals for 2018 throughout the state.
Though a innovative and growing city, Lafayette has plenty of outdoor adventures awaiting you in the natural Louisiana-swamp habitats of the area.
- Acadiana Park Nature Station offers about six miles of hiking trails throughout the park, as well as a kayak launch on the Francois Coulee.
- Swamp tours are the perfect way to learn more about the local ecosystems of south Louisiana. There are a number of guided swamp tours that all provide a fun and educational swamp experience.
- Kayaking is a favorite past time for locals. With so many bodies of water to explore, kayaking is a fun way to be out in nature in Lafayette. There are many options for kayaking, and here are some of the most popular spots. If you prefer guided tours, Pack and Paddle offers a variety of different events for paddling.
Just because you aren’t going to some exotic or tourist-trendy location doesn’t mean you can’t have the vacation of a lifetime. Lafayette is the perfect place for planning a memorable staycation.